Friday, December 19, 2014

End Of Year Thoughts Before Winter Blogging Break (and Pondering the Blogging Future)

Hope your December is going well, that you’ve got all that Christmas shopping done, and will be enjoying time with family and friends soon.

A lot has been going on in the last week and I haven’t had the opportunity to comment on it. But I was thinking about some of this while I was watching a made-for-TV movie from the 1970s about Dwight D. Eisenhower during the time he led the United States and our allies to victory in Europe against the Nazi regime of Adolf Hitler.

The movie began at the time Pearl Harbor was attacked 73 years ago this month. After footage of the attacks played, the well-known speech by President Franklin D. Roosevelt was shown, in which the asked the Congress to declare war on Japan.

Anyone who knows me knows the World War II era has been one of my favorite eras of history. That being said, I was struck, watching FDR’s speech, as well as seeing (then) General Eisenhower and the Chief of Staff, Gen. George Marshall being depicted.

“Where are leaders like this today?,” I asked myself.

One might disagree (rightfully) with a lot of FDR’s domestic policies. But when it came to America being attacked and facing the threat of Nazism and Imperial Japan, the entire nation rallied around him on the war effort.  There was a resolve and a moral clarity. We did not go looking for the fight, but when we were attacked, we didn’t run from it.

Compare that to today, when the person who has stepped in FDRs shoes (and is also a member of his party), is willing to make deals with oppressive regimes like the Cuban communists, the Iranian mullahs, and negotiate the release of terrorists for a suspected US Army deserter, while his party attacks our military and intelligence gathering community as “torturers” as a way of extracting political revenge on the previous President.  Or, how a cyber-attack on a US corporation is met with silence. There is not the moral clarity we had back in 1941. Instead, since the 1960s, we’ve had a moral relativism pushed by liberals that says we are to blame for attacks upon us. Or, as Hillary Rotten Clinton says, we need to “empathize” with our enemies.

Can you imagine FDR saying something like that about either Tojo or Hitler? Likewise, FDR wouldn’t have engaged in some outdoor pleasure activity for cameras to see after declaring December 7, 1941 “a day of infamy.”

But it’s also the entire political system in both parties (with few exceptions). Deals are made behind closed doors. Both sides represent only the special interests who give them big donations, while the rest of us work harder for less, and lose a little more freedom in the process.

Obama and his party may have lost the power in Congress in last month’s mid-terms, but as we head into 2015, I’m skeptical, especially after the big spending bill pushed through last week, about the Republican Party doing anything significant to check his abuses of power, especially with the “leadership” (and I use that term loosely) that makes up the new majority.

So, as we look toward 2015, I am, barring any breaking news or anything major that I feel like commenting on, planning to take the rest of December and first few days of the New Year off from blogging as a way of catching up on things around the homestead and “recharging the batteries,” so to speak.

A lot has gone in this last year with me personally, so my mind and energies have been other places. It’s been easy to think, “What’s the use! Someone else might say it better” as an excuse not to post, and yes, posting has been down from previous years.

This blog has been a labor of love, I have not done this for a profit, nor have I posted a “tip jar” and I have no desire to.  In case you don’t know, January 5th will mark the ninth year of this blog’s existence, and the blogosphere (as well as the State of the Nation) isn’t the same as it was in 2006. Things change and grow, that’s a part of life. Now perhaps it is time for me to ponder a lot of personal decisions, as well as the future of this blog…is this still the forum I should remain in, or is there perhaps another outlet for me to participate in that engages a wider audience.

Whatever I decide, I plan to be back here by January 5th. Until that time, I do plan stay in touch via Twitter, and maybe some Facebook posts. So, feel free to keep in touch via Twitter or e-mail.
And if I don’t talk to you before, I wish you and your loved ones a very Merry Christmas, as well as a Happy and Blessed 2015.

No comments: