Monday, July 08, 2013

Rick Perry Announces He Will Not Seek Re-Election As Governor of Texas

Texas Governor Rick Perry announced today that he would not run for a fourth term as Governor of the great state of Texas.


His announcement is on his website. Here's an excerpt.
The Book of Ecclesiastes teaches us, “For everything there is a season and a time for every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to pluck up that which is planted, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance.”
And from the book of Darrell Royal: “Dance with the one who brung ya.”
I remain excited about the future, and the challenges ahead, but the time has come to pass on the mantle of leadership.
Today I am announcing I will not seek re-election as governor of Texas.
I will spend the next 18 months working to create more Texas jobs, opportunity and innovation. I will work to actively lead this great state. And I will also pray, reflect and work to determine my own future path.
I make this announcement with a deep sense of humility and appreciation for the time and trust the people of this state have given me, and knowing I will truly miss serving in this capacity, the greatest job in modern politics.
....In moments of tragedy and triumph, I truly saw the best of what Texas has to offer. We are home to a unique people with limitless inspiration and perseverance.
To lead this state for the first part of the 21st Century has been nothing less than extraordinary. No other state can match what we’ve accomplished together. Today, Texas is the envy of the nation
I am looking forward…to the next 18 months, as I serve out my term. Any future considerations I will announce in due time, as I arrive at any decisions. But my focus will remain on Texas. Public service is a sacred trust. I am grateful for the privilege that Texans have allowed me. Until I leave this office, I will continue working hard to do what’s best for Texas.
Perry took office in 2000 after then-Gov. George W. Bush was elected President of the United States. He had previously been Lt. Governor and before that, State Agriculture Commissioner (I remember voting for him back in 1990, and the cotton trailer with a campaign sign at the intersection of Hwy 77 & Business 77 south of Kingsville, TX.  Under Perry, Texas has been a model of economic growth and personal freedom.

Gov. Perry unsuccessfully tried for the GOP Presidential nomination in 2012, and many have seen him as a potential 2016 candidate.  While I wonder if maybe 2012 might have been his best shot, I can say that America could learn a lot from Texas, and that we need a lot more Texas and a little less California influencing our nation today.

Congratulations on a job well done Gov. Perry, and whatever you decide in the future, God Bless and best wishes.

1 comment:

MIM sister said...

GIG EM Perry!!