Wednesday, April 11, 2012

George Zimmerman In Custody, Charged With 2nd Degree Murder In Trayvon Marton Case UPDATE: Pleading Not Guilty


The press conference by special prosecutor Angela Corey was held 30 minutes ago in which she announced George Zimmerman of Sanford, Fl was being charged with second degree murder in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, back on February 26th.

No reason that I heard was given indicating why they decided to press charges. I'm sure that, given a trial, we will begin to know what evidence exists that led them to pursue charges, especially given what we know already.

My personal first impression and suspicion is that Corey acted to appease the lynch mob being led by the New Black Panthers, Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. Eric "My People" Holder even spoke to Sharpton's National Action Network today and has not pursued charges against the New Black Panthers for issuing threats. During her press conference, she sounded more like a victim advocate instead of a criminal prosecutor. I caution by saying those are my first impressions. I could be wrong, they may have evidence none of us know about that could be damning to Zimmerman.

All that will be forthcoming, especially in a trial.

UPDATE: 7:18 p.m. - Zimmerman's defense attorney says his client will plead "not guilty" to the second degree murder charge (ABC).

Prof. Jacobson at Legal Insurrection:

We learned nothing new about the facts of the case. What irked me was to hear the prosecutor thank the Martin family attorneys — that seems a little close for my liking in a prosecutor, and in fact the Martin family attorneys have acted irresponsibly in the media as I have addressed before.

I saw on Twitter that the Martin family held a press conference with Al Sharpton by their side, but I didn’t get to see it. Although Zimmerman now is charged, and the case is in the courts, I expect the Martin family attorneys, Sharpton, and others continue to work the case in the media from a racial angle and to inflame passions in the community as a means of tainting the jury pool.

For the prosecutor to embrace the Martin family attorneys with thanks at the press conference, and for AG Eric Holder verbally to praise Sharpton today, tells me that a case which should be about facts of who did what to whom is going to turn into an even bigger racial narrative for a variety of purposes which have nothing to do with the guilt or innocence of the accused.

That's what I meant earlier when I said she sounded like a victims rights advocate instead of a special prosecutor. How many times did she use the phrase "Justice for Trayvon?"

My feeling again is that the mob mentality by the race hustlers is behind this. We shall see what evidence, if any, is out there that we don't know about.

No comments: