Tuesday, August 23, 2011

5.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Northern VA, DC Area, Northeast (UPDATES TO COME) Damage Photos, Obama Takes Calls From Golf Course

I just got home from work, after going through the earthquake here in Northern Virginia, which measured at 5.9 magnitued and is centered near Mineral, VA, which is northwest of Richmond, VA. (USGS.gov)



Fox News.
A Magnitude 5.9 earthquake struck Virginia Tuesday afternoon, sending tremors along the East Coast of the United States.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the earthquake was 3.7 miles deep and struck near Mineral, Va., a city 83 miles from Washington, D.C.

The U.S. Capitol, the Pentagon and other buildings were evacuated. Pictures in the Capitol building reportedly fell from the walls. Buildings in New York City shook briefly Tuesday afternoon.

I felt it in the office building I work in. The floor shook and, at first, I thought it was someone walking by really fast. But having lived in Northern California for 11 years, I knew it was an earthquake, and tried to tell some of my co-workers to stay away from windows.

Our building was evacuated and management told us to go home. They would not let us enter the building and doing so would be at our own risk.

I'm hearing on Fox also that two nuclear reactors were taken off line. There may be damage to the Washington Monument as well. I didn't see any damage on the drive home.

There was a small earthquake nearly a year and a half ago, early in the morning, centered in Maryland.

More updates to come.

Damage at Vienna Metro Station (h/t Gabriel Maylor, via Twitter).


Other damage, from photos posted at Hot 99.5.








US Capitol police say the Capitol building has been inspected and is safe for re-entry.

Don't worry, Richard Milhous Obama was being kept up to date on the quake while busy at the golf course, (where else?) (h/t Weasel Zippers).




Joke of the day, via NRO.

BREAKING NEWS; The current administration has declared that the DC Earthquake occurred on the fault line known as......."BUSH'S FAULT"

1 comment:

Rose said...

More damage than I'd expect from a 5'er - but I guess they're not used to it - the real danger is in unreinforced brick masonry buildings.

Glad you're ok, my daughter is in NYC, said, "My building wasn't hurt, but our DC office was. They had our security firm check out the building and it was approved for us to stay. I'm up on the 22rd floor and we could really feel it shake, though! Strongest shaking I've felt in a long time."