Monday, July 18, 2011

ATF Chief Says Holder's InJustice Dept. Trying To Shield Officials In "Fast & Furious" Congressional Probe

Can you say "cover up? (LA Slimes)
The Department of Justice is trying to protect its political appointees from becoming embroiled in the broadening Fast and Furious gun-tracing scandal by refusing to release an internal "smoking gun" report that acknowledges the role of top officials in the program that allowed guns to flow illegally into Mexico, according to the head of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Kenneth Melson, the ATF acting director, earlier this month also told congressional investigators examining the role of top officials in the ill-fated program that affidavits in support of wiretaps used in the operation are inconsistent with what Justice Department officials have said publicly.

Melson told the investigators that when he raised his concerns with the Justice Department about "institutional problems" with the Fast and Furious operation, department officials resisted his desire to share his thoughts with Congress.

"It was very frustrating to all of us," Melson told congressional investigators over the Fourth of July holiday, "and it appears thoroughly to us that the department is really trying to figure out a way to push the information away from their political appointees at the department."

Not only was the department slow to react, Justice officials even indicated to him they did not want him to cooperate with Congress, Melson said.

His comments appeared in transcripts released by Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Vista), chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, and Sen. Charles E. Grassley of Iowa, the top GOP member on the Senate Judiciary Committee.

"The Deputy Attorney General's office wasn't very happy with us" at ATF, Melson said, "because they thought this was an admission that there were mistakes made. Well, there were some mistakes made."

The GOP lawmakers, in a letter to Atty. Gen. Eric H. Holder Jr., demanded more cooperation with their investigation in trying to figure who in Washington approved Fast and Furious and allowed it to go on for more than year beginning in November 2009.

It's obvious that Eric Holder and a lot of people know more about Gunrunner / Fast and Furious than they've led on, and the dam is fixing to break.

The question is, where does it stop? We know that this program was funded by "stimulus" money. Who in our government at levels higher than the InJustice Department know about this? Who else is involved in covering this program and those involved up?

Keep in mind, this is the same kind of crap that brought down one Administration over a break in at a Washington DC apartment building almost 40 years ago.

No comments: