Saturday, January 29, 2011

Note To Michele Bachmann: Don't Cut Veterans' Benefits To Reduce Debt

Normally, I'm a big fan of Congresswoman Michele Bachmann. However, after reading this post at This Ain't Hell and a similar one at Washington Monthly, I have to raise my voice in opposition to this plan of her's to cut $4.5 billion from the Veteran's Administration by capping increased in health-care spending.

As far as I'm concerned, benefits for veterans should be off-limits to politicians for federal budget cuts. This is non-negotiable. These people have volunteered to serve this nation, many times asked to be away from their families, and have put their lives on the line for the defense of this nation. Our government made a promise to them for their service and that is one promise that should never be broken.

Hell, if we're going to cut benefits, let's cut those of politicians, who have gold-plated health and retirement benefits. I don't think the founders intended these temporary public servants to go to Washington and enrich themselves off the public teet, especially on the backs of our veterans.

Here's Bachmann's office phone. (202.225.2331) Give her a call and tell her "no" to cutting veteran's benefits.

Oh, and we shouldn't be cutting aid to our allies like Israel either, Sen. Rand Paul.


arlenearmy said...

Bachmann was my hero. I thought the world of her. But after learning about her proposal to cut the veterans, I had to dump her. That was it for me.

As a veteran myself, as well as my husband who served in vietnam, we could not support anyone who would cut a vet.

VA has many short comings & vets dying needlessly... and Bachman wants to cut it further. What the hell is she thinking?

Even if she retracts, the damage is done. I just cant imagine how she entertained this idea in her head.

Anonymous said...

I am a 100% disabled vietnam Combat vet who served in 1966-1968 with both the 2nd batallion, 503rd infantry, 173rd Airborne brigade and 3rd brigade 508th infantry, 82nd Airborn Div as a platoon sergant. I survived hill 875 and was wounded 7 times. I paid my dues and it will be a very cold day in hell before any congressional idiot takes my only means of living away. I could easily do a much better job than her and wouldnt expect to freeload on the backs of those who earned their right as true americans like Ms. Buchman so easily does. Lamont out.

Deb said...

My husband served in Vietnam from 1966-1968. He came home with a severe rash and life threatening ulcerative colitis. He has since lost his colon. He also has advanced Parkinson's Disease, which in his case is terminal, all thanks to agent orange. I am more than proud of his service to our country. I am apalled to think that we have for many years, and are continuing to aide ilegals with many "freebies" that are not afforded to my our service men & women. How about starting the budget cuts there. These ilegals have never served this country. They do not pay anything in. They do nothing but suck us dry, and yet our vets have to fight again for what they have already paid for in blood sweat and tears.