"The last thing the planet needs is a rock concert," Roger Daltrey, The Who
Former Vice President Al Gore's global fear mongering as "Global Warming" has become another excuse for a bunch of pop stars to hold worldwide concerts to show the world their "concern" for something which they have no control over.
All this on the second anniversary of the July 7th terrorist attacks in London, and in the wake of last week's attempted terror attacks in England.
What is the reason behind Live Earth? It isn't about saving the planet. It's an exercise in self-indulgence. As John Berlau wrote in the American Thinker wrote, Live Earth is "also one last chance for Baby Boomers to relive the "flower power" activism of the '60s."
That sentiment of big charity concerts was cited as far back as 1988 by Rush drummer and lyricist Neil Peart. Speaking about 1985's Live Aid, Peart told Metal Hammer Magazine:
"I get so impatient with the pop side of causes, the whole sensibility of, 'Let's get together and change things' because these people just do not know what they're talking about and don't take the trouble to find out how they can really change something. It's a Sixties mentality -- it had no action then, and has no action now. It's just sound and fury. And, let's be honest, how many of these people are only lending their names as a career move?"
Which brings to my mind a few questions.
* How much pollution was caused by these self-obsessed musicians flying in their private jets to the towns were Live Earth gigs were held?
* How much pollution was caused by the trucks and limousines taking these pop gods and goddesses, their equipment, the stage and lighting to these shows? That also goes for the transportation of those fans attending the concerts.
* How much pollution is being caused by the electricity being used to power the lights, PA systems, amplifiers, etc?
* How much pollution is being caused by fans smoking cigarettes (legal and illegal) in addition to amounts of human methane expelled by thousands of people in several areas around the world?
* Is Live Earth, as well as the global warming farce, a tool by Gore and other Leftists used to distract the world from the real and existing threat of Islamofascist terrorism around the world?
* Is the real reason behind Live Earth to act as a political soapbox for "Chicken Little" Al Gore to begin a possible run for the Democrat Presidential Nomination for 2008?
Ever the narcissist, Gore has spent the last few years slamming the Bush Administration for "playing on our fears" in the War on Terrorism, as well as supposedly misleading America about WMD's in Iraq. However, it is Gore the Hypocrite who made a career scaring and misleading the planet about the supposed global warming threat, where there is not proof that it is caused by man. He has also earned acclaim from Leftists, as well as an Oscar and a wad of cash, all based on fear mongering and lies.
While his son, Albert III, is supposedly in drug treatment after being arrested for drug possession, where is his father when his son needs him?
Al was away from home, promoting and appearing at Live Earth.
And that, my friends, is one more example of how Live Earth is an exercise in self-indulgence.